This is my very first recipe post since I have started my new blog – how exciting! I decided to kick off with one of my favourite dishes – risotto!
Now while risotto is one of my favourite dishes, it tends to be something I only eat when I head out to a restaurant for dinner. However, I have discovered it’s not that hard to make your own risotto at home.
I always thought it involve a long cooking process and a great deal of constant stirring at the stove. But this recipe is not only easy to pull together, it’s also extremely delicious!
2 cups Arborio rice
100g shortcut bacon
200g mushrooms, sliced
500g chicken breast, diced
5 cups chicken stock
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Handful of mixed herbs – parsley and basil. Fresh is best for flavour, but if not available use dried.
1 tbs olive oil
- Melt 20g butter and 1 tbs olive oil in pan, add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent
- Add bacon and chicken and cook through.
- Add rice and stir until it looks glassy.
- Gradually add chicken stock (cup by cup) ensuring stock is absorbed by rice each time before more is added. Continue stirring. Add mushrooms after 1st stock has been absorbed.
- Once all stock has been added and absorbed and your risotto looks moist and creamy, add parmesan cheese, 20g butter and herbs and stir through.
- Serve and enjoy!