Winter is well and truly here and the weather has been pretty dreary these school holidays so I’ve been trying to come up with ways to keep my children entertained on those cold and wet days.
Earlier in the week, my girls had great fun making a batch of salt dough, rolling and cutting them out into shapes to create some lovely decorations that they then painted and scented with essential oils.
I have to say that my house smelled absolutely devine afterwards with the scent of lavender, geranium, lemon, orange and peppermint wafting through the house.
While the girls chose to hang a couple of lavender scented decorations in their bedrooms to create a lovely calming atmosphere, these decorations also make great air fresheners for the car, wardrobe, bathroom and laundry. I have a couple hanging in my car and they work so well!
If you don’t want to hang the decorations, you could place them in a pretty bowl and still let the scent freshen up your room.
The great thing about these decorations is that you can simply top up the scent by adding a few more drops of essential oil whenever you need to – so easy plus cheaper and smell much better than store bought air fresheners as well. They would make a great gift idea and you could easily change the shapes for different occasions, such as Christmas, different seasons and so on.
What you need:
For the dough
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water
Pencil or similar (for poking a hole through each decoration)
Paint (we used poster paint)
Thread, twine or ribbon
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 120C.
- Mix flour, salt and water together to form a soft dough.
- Roll dough out until they are about 1 cm thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes out of the dough. Use a pencil or similar sized item to poke a small hole through each of the shapes.
- Place shapes on a lined baking tray and cook in the oven for 2-3 hours until hard.
- Leave to cool then paint and decorate as desired – ensure you leave at least a small area of the back unpainted so it can absorb the essential oils.
- Set aside to dry then add a few drops of your desired essential oil to each decoration and allow it to soak in.
- Thread ribbon through the hole and it’s ready to hang!