Happy birthday to me! This year marks a special occasion as I turn 40.
Now I’m not quite sure why 40 is made out to be so important. To me it is just another number, however everyone seems to be making a big deal about its significance so it’s got me thinking what it all actually means.
Is it because it’s meant to mark some sort of mid-way point in life? Because I sure hope to live longer than 80, if I have any say in the matter!
I realise I have come a long way over the past 40 years, I’ve achieved a lot and learnt even more along the way. But I think it has only been more recently that I have made the most life changing, most important decisions of my life so far. The moment I made the decision to slow down and step away from the frantic unsustainable life I was living. To leave the ‘busy-ness’, expectations and and things I ‘should’ be doing behind.
That was a few years ago now, but I’m going to use this birthday to continue this journey and make a few more important decisions in my life.
Now this next one isn’t life changing, but I realised recently that I don’t think I have ever used the bath in our house – that’s in 10 years! Night after night I have washed the kids in the bath, but I have never actually used it myself as it always seemed quicker and easier to jump in the shower instead. So I’ve made a decision to take a bit of ‘me time’ and enjoy a relaxing bath once a month.
My gorgeous family must have listened as I received a packet of bath fizzers as part of my birthday present yesterday!
Other things I plan and look forward to doing more of in the years to come are:
- Slow down and cherish time spent with my husband and three beautiful girls, making family memories and creating traditions, because they are growing up way too fast.
- Surround myself with positive people, friends and family and let go of the toxic ones, if I haven’t already.
- Put myself and my family first by saying ‘no’ and not feeling guilty about it afterwards.
- Spend more time filling my own cup and doing more that fuels me.
- Worry less, stick to my gut feelings about the decisions I make and not care so much about what other people may think.
- Spend more time writing and creating.
- Stay healthy in the mind and body.
- Spend less but live more.
- Travel – my ultimate trip would be visit Disneyland and New York at Christmas time.
Some of these things I have already made a start on, but there’s still a long way to go … in fact I realise now that it will probably always be a work in progress.
So happy 40th birthday to me! Here’s to many more great years ahead full of good times and great memories … now I’m off to run myself a bath!